Texas Tech University’s Forum Chapter of the Mortar Board National College Senior Honor Society established the Mortar Board Endowment Scholarship in the Spring, 2002. Mortar Board seeks to enhance the ideals of Scholarship, Leadership, and Service on college campuses throughout the United States. The Texas Tech Forum Chapter, established in 1927, believes strongly in the Society’s ideals and desires to support students who exemplify Scholarship, Leadership, Service, and other noble traits. For these reasons, the Texas Tech Mortar Board Endowment Scholarship was created to recognize the achievements and endeavors of second year, first year transfer or nontraditional students.

The Mortar Board Endowment Scholarship is a one time, non-renewable award given to a second year, first year transfer or nontraditional student who is enrolled full time as an undergraduate at Texas Tech University. Students are eligible if they have completed the credit hours to be considered to have sophomore level standing, are in their first year at Texas Tech having transferred from another accredited college or university, or fit the criteria for a nontraditional student.

Eligible second year, first year transfer, or nontraditional students should have earned a minimum 3.25 cumulative GPA and be in good academic standing at Texas Tech University. Applications for the scholarship are available each fall semester. You can download the application HERE. Please complete all materials and return to with the subject heading: MoB scholarship.

Scholarship applications are due by March 1, 2014 at 5 pm to with the subject heading: MoB Scholarship

For more information, please email Matthew Nguyen, Chair of the Mortar Board Scholarship Committee, at

* The National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) has identified seven characteristics that are common to nontraditional students: do not immediately continue your education after you graduate from high school; attend college only part time; work full time (35 hours or more per week); are financially independent; have children or dependents other than your spouse; are a single parent; hold a GED rather than a high school diploma.